- 125g Butter
- ½ Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 ¾ Cups Plain Flour (sifted)
- Lorann Flavouring of your choice
Icing and Decorating
- 25g egg white powder (30g in humid areas or days)
- 150ml water
- 1 teaspoon cream tartar
- 1kg pure icing sugar
- Gel Colours
- Lorann Flavouring of your choice.
- Pastel Nonpareils
- Black Edible Art Paint
- Cream butter, sugar, and flavouring together until light and fluffy.
- Add an egg and beat well.
- Add sifted flour into the creamed mixture. Using hands, press the mixture together to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or an hour if time permits).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead lightly.
- Roll dough out to 5mm thickness. Cut out shapes using your cookie cutters.
- Place on a greased oven tray. Bake at 180°C for 10 - 15 minutes or until pale golden.
- Leave to cool before icing.
- Sift icing sugar.
- Mix egg white powder with the pure icing sugar.
- Add liquids and beat on a medium to high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Divide up icing, colour and create consistencies you need.
- Add gel colour to create the colour you require.
- Add additional water in small quantities to create the consistency you need to either pipe or flood. To test consistencies, drop small amounts on parchment paper and wait 15 seconds before comparing to the image. You will need a large amount of Flood Icing and a small amount of Piping icing.
- Once you are happy with the consistency you can put the icing in piping bags.
- Using the Piping Icing pipe a thin line around the outside of the Bilby cookie.
- Using the Flood Icing fill in the inside of the Bilby cookie.
- Holding the cookie over a bowl (while the icing is wet) gently sprinkle the Pastel Nonpareils over the Bilby’s Ears, Tail and Nose.
- Leave the cookies to set overnight (or for an hour in a dehydrator at 35 degrees)
- Using Edible Art Paint paint a black dot on the Bilby for an eye.
- Royal Icing can be stored in an airtight container, out of the fridge for 3-4 days. (or in the fridge during hot weather)
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.
How to care for Sweet Themes Cookie Cutters
Always wash your cutters before use. As our cookie cutters are made from stainless steel, you can put them in the top draw of your dishwasher. Always dry your cookie cutters before storage.